|Tepelenë was founded on the shores of Vjosa River, about 30 kilometers from where this river meets the Drino, on a rocky elevation. The name Tepelenë means “the Hill of Helen,” because according to legend, the place had alliance agreements with the neighboring villages of Dames and Dragot under the rule of Queen Helen.
Tepelenë is the birthplace of Ali Pashë Tepelena. Although its fortress is not as large and majestic as the castles of Berat, Shkoder and Gjirokastër, it has a very special atmosphere, which many Anglo-Saxon visitors have experienced and written about.
TepelenaAli Pasha is a very complex figure, who elevates the name of Tepelenë. He was the son of Veli and Hanko (the daughter of the Beg of Konice). His father died when he was 14. Through his bravery and his in-laws, he made a brilliant career. In 1784 he was awarded the title “Pasha” under the Veli of Rumelia. Through war he secured leadership of the Sanjak of Delvina, in the same year.
In 1786-1788 he became the leader of the Sanjak of Thessalia and took over the governing of the Sanjak of Ioannina, defending the interests of the new landowners and the commercial bourgeoisie. He turned Ioannina into the international commercial center of southern Rumelia.